Sunday, March 10, 2013

My mini me

So most of you know that Suvi really does take after me in many ways.  First of all, she really looks a lot like my side of the family (me in particular!). My relatives will tell you that there is a remarkable resemblance to when I was a little girl, and I can even see a lot of my cousin Shannon in her as well (although I will admit that Shannon is way prettier than me as an adult!). Even my co-workers call her my "mini-me". These are some photos me as a 4 yr old...
 

 I am the one on the right in above photo, in case you couldn't tell!  This picture really looks like Suvi I think!
 
It is also apparent in some of her mannerisms. She is super sensitive like me. If you yell at her she cries and when she gets frustrated she cries. She is very sensitive. I see this in Markku too, but not yet in Kai. This is obviously a part of me I wished she didn't inherit! But as she gets older, it is fun to see how her personality as well as her physical characteristics are developing.  Something else that is very similar is her love for school. I loved it so much as a child, and I would be sad if I had to miss school for some reason. Suvi only goes to preschool twice weekly, but she counts down the days each week. The night before, as I put her to bed, she asks me what is happening tomorrow. If I say, "You have school!" she gets so excited. She will almost always reply "yay! The next morning?! yipeeeeeeeeee!" She bounces out of bed in the morning and is so excited to get dressed. We have to get Markku off to school first and then have a short break before she goes, and she will constantly ask me what time we are leaving and if we are late! (We are late a lot, I admit!).
 
She loves everything about school: Her friends, her teachers, the subjects she is learning. She is so different from Markku in this aspect. Don't get me wrong, he too liked preschool, but  he didn't look forward to it the way she does or talk about what he learned. In fact, Markku has been heard saying "It's not fair. Why is she learning that in preschool when I had to wait till kinder?!" I really do not know if it is her teachers or just that she is so much more ready for learning (probably both). Her teachers, Ms. Becky and Ms. Ron do happen to be amazing. She loves to write her letters and spell words, and of course as I have previously mentioned, draw!!! She gets excited when "homework" is sent home! She will pull out her Preschool work-book and do extra work for fun. She gets rave reviews on her ability to trace her letters (the usual homework for her preschool). But the funniest thing was this past Thursday, in the first few minutes after school, she discovered she had been sent home a packet of homework to be completed over spring break. It is at least 10 pages or so of writing letters, connect the dot type activity sheets. She had it done in less than 15 minutes. It was supposed to last her all of spring break! That is my girl, for sure! I will probably be forcing her to stop reading, stop studying, stop worrying about school in no time at all. My parents used to tease me about stressing so much about a urine test (get it, as if you have to study for a urine test!).
 

This is a family photo from around 1977 (so I would be about Suvi's age). Look at how young my parents were!
 
 
Now, when I was younger, like in the photo below, I think I see more Kai. I am on the left in the lower photo!
 
 
You want to know something really special? In almost every photo (not sure about the first one), I am wearing a dress my mother made (and so is my sister Jenn). Times were so different then, it actually saved my mother money to make our clothes! Now it is so much more expensive to buy the fabric and patterns! As if that is the only reason I do not sew my own children's clothes...


No comments: